Privacy and My Private Parts
July 3, 2012 36 Comments
I recently read a post by Kdaddy23 titled “Whoa … Creepy is Okay Now?” inspired by an article on MSNBC titled “How Facebook Makes Creepy Behavior Normal.” The MSNBC article talks about the issue of social surveillance, the behavior of Facebook users to stalk and be stalked and how this has become the norm. The article likens social surveillance to that of a panopticon prison in which the guards are positioned on top of a tower with a 360 degree view of the prisoners. I was first introduced to the term “panopticon” years ago when I read Michel Foucault’s book “Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison.” The book examines the dynamics of the prison system and how this transcends into the power dynamics of institutions wherein the watcher has the power over the watched. (Now this is a general synopsis because I don’t want to get too “heavy” here.)
Technology has become “Big Brother.” Just think of CCTV as an example of surveillance on a massive level. Municipalities have cams on intersections that take pictures of traffic violators. Have you ever gotten a ticket via mail and seen a pic of yourself with a “duh” look after you ran through that red light? We’ve seen news stories about hidden cams in some public toilets. The last thing I want is for some stranger to see my girly part doing its thing. Although that scenario is extreme it “can happen.” We’re being watched when we go shopping, when we’re walking the streets and we can be photographed or videotaped by anyone with a phone. Ever seen an embarrassing pic of yourself uploaded on Facebook by a “friend”? Yahoo and Google are tracking our searches and websites we visit. We’re being watched in the real and virtual world. Think twice before you pick your nose , scratch your butt or walk out of the house looking like you just tumbled out of bed. And if don’t care, then more power to YOU!!!!!
I’m a private crazy chick:
- I don’t share my pic unless it’s been doctored up to look like a cartoon
- I don’t share private info on social networking sites unless I’m “anonymous”
- Only close friends know my “dirty business” and that’s probably because they were there to witness it
What I like about Facebook:
- People who post funny and inspiring pics and vids
What annoys me about Facebook:
- People who post pics of nasty looking food–I mean who would want to eat something that looks like afterbirth?
- People who post pics of their feet … I mean who cares?
- Constant complainers–I mean … get a new perspective will you?
- People who brag about how great they are–if they have to say it then it “they ain’t it”
- People who publicize their check ins–I mean who cares if you’re going to Applebee’s? Just don’t check in to that massage parlor you go to for your happy ending or tragedy just might befall you when you get back home.
One of my friends can actually spend hours on Facebook looking at pics and status updates and she never misses the opportunity to tell me about the latest “fights” or the latest embarrassing pics. And what do I do? I log in and see the spectacle! Yup I’m a creeper too. I’m bi that way …
Get the CCC Badge
Join the Crazy Chicks Club
Join the Crazy Freaks Club
Join the B.A.D Club
© 2011 Lafemmeroar